Dog poop is gross topic but every pet parent that lives in an apartment complex or urban area knows that doggie bags are a must. There are always excuses “I forgot a bag” or “no one will care this time.” I have done it a one point and surely everyone has done it. The habit of carrying a doggie bag is a hard one to form but will be environmentally and community friendly later on.
Reasons why to scoop up the poop:
- Environmental and Health: Poop has bacteria and can contain viruses that get into the water supply or tracked in to your home.
- Keeps away flies: Don’t you hate flies? Well you can keep them away by keeping a clean yard area.
- Take back your yard: Have a reason to hang out in the backyard and play catch or have a bar-b-que with not worrying about your dog’s business.
Solutions: Where to find cheap bags:
- Grocery/plastic shopping bags: They might not be biodegradable but these bags are free when picking up milk and eggs and do the dirty poop picking job.
- Dollar store: Usually comes in a pack of six and reasonable for a $1.00.
- Apartment Complex: Sometimes when apartment complexes want their residents to pick up their pets’ poop or have seen a lack in cooperation with pet owning residents; They will give away free doggie bags and dispensers.
- Dog Parks: Most urban areas will have trash cans with plastic bags just for this reason and its free. So take advantage.
- Flush it: Might sound gross but flushing the dog poop after picking it up in the bag is more friendly to the landfills.