Dog snacks and treats can be filled with unhealthy additives and ingredients for your pet. Scrolling though the internet one day I came across this site, The Novice Chief, with cute and easy recipe for your puppy.
Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
Yield: 24 medium bones
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 squares white almond bark
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine all ingredients (peanut butter, egg, honey, oats, flour, oil and water), beating until a stiff dough forms.
- Pat out dough into a rectangle, about 1 inch in depth. Using a bone shaped cookie cutter, cut into bones. Use all dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping half way through. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To Dip/Decorate:
- Melt almond bark and oil in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Once melted/smooth, dip half of bone into almond bark and lay on parchment paper. Decorate with sprinkles or chopped peanuts and let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
I love how you can decorate them and they are a great gift idea for any pet owner.
Dog poop is gross topic but every pet parent that lives in an apartment complex or urban area knows that doggie bags are a must. There are always excuses “I forgot a bag” or “no one will care this time.” I have done it a one point and surely everyone has done it. The habit of carrying a doggie bag is a hard one to form but will be environmentally and community friendly later on.
Reasons why to scoop up the poop:
- Environmental and Health: Poop has bacteria and can contain viruses that get into the water supply or tracked in to your home.
- Keeps away flies: Don’t you hate flies? Well you can keep them away by keeping a clean yard area.
- Take back your yard: Have a reason to hang out in the backyard and play catch or have a bar-b-que with not worrying about your dog’s business.
Dog picking up dog poop.
Solutions: Where to find cheap bags:
- Grocery/plastic shopping bags: They might not be biodegradable but these bags are free when picking up milk and eggs and do the dirty poop picking job.
- Dollar store: Usually comes in a pack of six and reasonable for a $1.00.
- Apartment Complex: Sometimes when apartment complexes want their residents to pick up their pets’ poop or have seen a lack in cooperation with pet owning residents; They will give away free doggie bags and dispensers.
- Dog Parks: Most urban areas will have trash cans with plastic bags just for this reason and its free. So take advantage.
- Flush it: Might sound gross but flushing the dog poop after picking it up in the bag is more friendly to the landfills.
I love my dogs but I hate dealing with pet hair. It seems that my floor, furniture and clothes all are a pet hair magnet and I have no clue what to do. Recently, I have been searching for home remedies and changes that I can do to improve my dog’s shedding issue. This can help cat owners too with their feline friend.
What I found was:
- Diet is a huge factor: High quality ingredients and supplements in dog foods improve the health of your dog’s coat and skin.
- Vitamin Supplements: provides the extra push to get all the nourishments that your furry friend needs to reduce shedding.
- Allergies: Many pet owners don’t realize that their pets can get allergies which can contribute to their shedding and hair loss.
- Cover and slips for furniture: This won’t solve the problem and changing these covers out will help you keep some sanity.
- Vacuum and sweeping: cleaning on a bi weekly bias will help control the amount of hair in the home.
- Change in pet food: Try out a couple of brands that work best for your pet and see if the amount of hair loss is changed over time.
- Boost pet hair health with omega oil: these oils can boost the shine and gloss of your pet’s coat and decrease shedding
- Make an appointment to your vet: This problem might be a cause that needs medical attention and your vet can help locate the issue with tests or request some changes.
- Grooming: Baths and brushing are important to remove the hair that lays on and within the coat and provide a cleaner coat for your pet.
I will be testing these solutions out on my dog and may be adding another post to share my findings.
Today is Feburary 14th, it’s a day that it is a hit or miss with some people. Happy in love with your significant other or despising all the happy couples that are surrounding you and or the amount of flower deliveries that are stopping by at your work. You can be neither; you can be happy that your cat or dog is treating you like it’s any other day: waiting to greet you at the door or lay around watching tv.
That’s the deal with pets. They will love you no matter what happens or what holiday it is. That’s the beauty of being a pet parent and owning a furbaby. Take a chance to give your pet a kiss or a long hug on this day.
Here’s a article that might interest you about dogs and love.
I will leave you with this quote by Josh Billings:
“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”
― Josh Billings