Adopting a pet is a huge responsibility but it can take a small chunk of cash out of your wallet. I always advocate adopting from a rescue and animal shelters. There are always dogs and cats in need of a good home. Here are some places I would recommend you look to first then heading over to Craigslist and Facebook in search of your new best friend.
Keep in mind that rescues and shelters have different adoption processes and can take time before you can bring your new pet home. Most all shelters and rescues post their adoptable dogs and cats online for easier access for the public to view the animals.
- Austin’s non-profit, no kill shelter has many adoptable pets.
– The dog’s adoption fee varies per dog, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions but for the cat’s they have a set price.
– Under 2 years old: $125,
– 2 years old but under 10 years old: $75
-10 years and older: $25.
APA has promotional deals and ‘name your price’ that goes through out the year.
- This is the city of Austin animal shelter and usually has lower prices on adoption than a non-profit animal shelter.
The current adoption fee is $75 for all cats and dogs under 7 years old; cats & dogs 7 years old and over are free.
**The currently adoption deal is $40 to adopt a pet for February.**
- Located in Kyle, this is a local non-profit and no kill shelter. Just like Austin Pets Alive, adoption fees tend to be higher than the city animal shelter. They have adoptable pets at their shelter and even area Petco and Petsmarts stores. They will have promotional deals and ‘name your price’ on adoption fees through out the year.
- The adoption fees are $90 for all dogs and cats at any age with a $20 deposit. The deposit is applied toward the adoption fee and good for one business day. The reason is that if the animal cannot be adopted then the $20.00 will become a donation.
- Located in San Antonio, this shelter is a no kill and non-profit.
25 pounds & under – $99
26 pounds & over – $65
Less than 4 Months – $50
Over 4 months of age – $30
San Antonio Animal Care Services: The city of San Antonio shelter has the adoption fees for:
$81 for dogs/puppies
$29 for cats/kittens
The adoption fee includes (and varies from the item listed from where you are adopting):
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- First or more vaccinations
- First or more deworming treatment
- Personality evaluation
- One month of pet health insurance
Please take your time to look and the process of adopting a pet. It’s a lifetime commitment and every single animal deserves a loving home.